Alex Castillo #13 - Player Interview
The following is an interview with the last player from the first Reaper generation (he will be out of eligibility but still @ EIU next year). I had the honor of playing with and coaching Alex for many years and watching him develop over that time as a player and a friend. He was the first guy to hand me a Woodchuck and jam out to Mindless Self Indulgence. I don't think I can count the parties, tournaments, B&E, practices, road trips and other debauchery we got into ("who the @!#% steals spoons!?"). Alex has seen the highest highs and lowest lows of this team and it won't be the same without him. Recently, after making it past the first few rounds of the AlleyCats combine, Alex made the decision to drop out of the tryouts so he could focus more on Reaper, a difficult decision but at the same time one that shows a small glimpse of the commitment he has shown this team over the years.
How many years have you been playing ultimate? When did you start playing ultimate? What sports did you play in HS?
I started playing my sophomore year at EIU. This is my technically my 6th year, but 5th year through USAU, so unfortunately it is my last year with Reaper. I played two years of Baseball and Basketball in high school.
Who was your favorite team to play against in college?
This was tough, but I actually liked playing Loyola, especially the past couple of years. The rivalry always made it an intense match-up.
What is your favorite throw?
Airbounce backhand, even if I get shit for throwing it.
Offense or Defense?
Defense for sure. I will never understand why some people refuse to layout for a D.
Favorite TV show?
Modern Family
Any words about the rookie all-star game you participated in?
I was lucky to participate, because at the time, only 1 player was chosen per team, and of course I really didn't deserve it over Schwenk. We all knew it wouldn't be fair for him to just sky over every non-experienced player. I can't imagine how I looked out there as a rookie; I'm sure it was ugly, but that full field flick that I threw was one that I will never forget.
What is your favorite ultimate-related memory?
My favorite ultimate related memory would have to be Regionals 2011 when we beat Illinois. Although my role on the team wasn't as nearly as significant, it was just amazing being able to be a part of one of the best teams in the Midwest at the time. I still believe that our team was one of the best in the country that year. Our depth was always our weakness, but with rested legs, I think we could have competed with anyone.
What is your favorite tournament and why?
I think it's a toss up between No Wisco and Chi Invite. We've had great results at No Wisco, and I'll never forget taking Carleton to universe point , but Chi Invite's quality has been improving in the past couple of years.
http://reaperultimate.blogspot.com/2011/10/no-wisconsequences-2011.html
What are your future ultimate-related goals if any?
I plan on playing club ultimate with Prion out of Champaign, starting this summer. I would eventually like to tryout for the AUDL's Indy Alleycats, but I'm going to have to wait until I'm more financially stable. I'm becoming more hesitant about joining the Alleycats because I'm pretty sure Travis Carpenter thinks I'm Traver when it comes to making calls.
What is your life outside of ultimate like? What did you study in school? Do you have any hobbies or interests?
Life outside of Ultimate isn't very exciting as of right now. I'm currently in my first year in the Counseling Master's program so I'm stuck in Charleston for another year, although I won't have eligibility. My hobbies include watching basketball, baseball, and playing the guitar. I hate this question James!
Any dogs in the house?
There is one dog in the house. Yadi has been a valuable part of the team and I'm pretty sure he scared Manny away.
Any last words?
Just a last few words. I've been a part of Reaper for a very long time now. It's been crazy seeing the change in dynamics from the past few years. Although it's great to see the team grow, I hope that it can try to retain the chemistry from the early years. I don't expect for everyone on the team to eat, sleep, and breathe Ultimate, but I think it's more important for the veterans and other core members to try to maintain cohesion and chemistry between the team. If you look at the alumni, most of them continue to be heavily involved with the Ultimate community; those guys were the ones that were always at practice even when it was cold and shitty outside. The dedication is correlated with interest in the sport, of course, but it'll be negatively affected if the core does not set a good example with time dedicated to practice and improvement. The alums can only do so much to help the team thrive; the most important factor resides on the returning members. Set a good tone for the next year, and help this team maintain it's competitive edge in the region. And let's never fucking to lose Bradley again.
Alex and the team in the Pre-Reaper Days.
~
#14 Josh Hardie
#24 Steve "High Release" Langyher
Lastly, Alex is not the only graduating player this year. The team is also losing 2 former captains (and one still current) in Steve "High Release" Langyher and Josh Hardie. These guys were the complete opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to leadership. HR being a fiery and aggressive leader who feds off his emotions and plays with his heart on his sleeve; Hardie was probably the most positive and friendly captain Reaper has ever had (in my opinion at least) and set a great example on how to be not only a good teammate but also a good person. Both were/are solid handlers who worked extremely hard to be the players they are today. While Josh and Steve decided to not respond to my interview inquiry I hope they both realize that they were/are massive contributors to this team and without the many years and countless hours they put in as players and leaders, Reaper wouldn't be what it is today and what it will become in the future without the selfless contributions of these great guys. Reaper nation continues to grow and I wish Alex, Steve, and Josh the best of luck at Regionals 2014 and more importantly in life.
~James
I started playing my sophomore year at EIU. This is my technically my 6th year, but 5th year through USAU, so unfortunately it is my last year with Reaper. I played two years of Baseball and Basketball in high school.
Who was your favorite team to play against in college?
This was tough, but I actually liked playing Loyola, especially the past couple of years. The rivalry always made it an intense match-up.
What is your favorite throw?
Airbounce backhand, even if I get shit for throwing it.
Offense or Defense?
Defense for sure. I will never understand why some people refuse to layout for a D.
Favorite TV show?
Modern Family
Any words about the rookie all-star game you participated in?
I was lucky to participate, because at the time, only 1 player was chosen per team, and of course I really didn't deserve it over Schwenk. We all knew it wouldn't be fair for him to just sky over every non-experienced player. I can't imagine how I looked out there as a rookie; I'm sure it was ugly, but that full field flick that I threw was one that I will never forget.
What is your favorite ultimate-related memory?
My favorite ultimate related memory would have to be Regionals 2011 when we beat Illinois. Although my role on the team wasn't as nearly as significant, it was just amazing being able to be a part of one of the best teams in the Midwest at the time. I still believe that our team was one of the best in the country that year. Our depth was always our weakness, but with rested legs, I think we could have competed with anyone.
What is your favorite tournament and why?
I think it's a toss up between No Wisco and Chi Invite. We've had great results at No Wisco, and I'll never forget taking Carleton to universe point , but Chi Invite's quality has been improving in the past couple of years.
http://reaperultimate.blogspot.com/2011/10/no-wisconsequences-2011.html
What are your future ultimate-related goals if any?
I plan on playing club ultimate with Prion out of Champaign, starting this summer. I would eventually like to tryout for the AUDL's Indy Alleycats, but I'm going to have to wait until I'm more financially stable. I'm becoming more hesitant about joining the Alleycats because I'm pretty sure Travis Carpenter thinks I'm Traver when it comes to making calls.
What is your life outside of ultimate like? What did you study in school? Do you have any hobbies or interests?
Life outside of Ultimate isn't very exciting as of right now. I'm currently in my first year in the Counseling Master's program so I'm stuck in Charleston for another year, although I won't have eligibility. My hobbies include watching basketball, baseball, and playing the guitar. I hate this question James!
Any dogs in the house?
There is one dog in the house. Yadi has been a valuable part of the team and I'm pretty sure he scared Manny away.
Any last words?
Just a last few words. I've been a part of Reaper for a very long time now. It's been crazy seeing the change in dynamics from the past few years. Although it's great to see the team grow, I hope that it can try to retain the chemistry from the early years. I don't expect for everyone on the team to eat, sleep, and breathe Ultimate, but I think it's more important for the veterans and other core members to try to maintain cohesion and chemistry between the team. If you look at the alumni, most of them continue to be heavily involved with the Ultimate community; those guys were the ones that were always at practice even when it was cold and shitty outside. The dedication is correlated with interest in the sport, of course, but it'll be negatively affected if the core does not set a good example with time dedicated to practice and improvement. The alums can only do so much to help the team thrive; the most important factor resides on the returning members. Set a good tone for the next year, and help this team maintain it's competitive edge in the region. And let's never fucking to lose Bradley again.
Alex and the team in the Pre-Reaper Days.
~
#14 Josh Hardie
#24 Steve "High Release" Langyher
Lastly, Alex is not the only graduating player this year. The team is also losing 2 former captains (and one still current) in Steve "High Release" Langyher and Josh Hardie. These guys were the complete opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to leadership. HR being a fiery and aggressive leader who feds off his emotions and plays with his heart on his sleeve; Hardie was probably the most positive and friendly captain Reaper has ever had (in my opinion at least) and set a great example on how to be not only a good teammate but also a good person. Both were/are solid handlers who worked extremely hard to be the players they are today. While Josh and Steve decided to not respond to my interview inquiry I hope they both realize that they were/are massive contributors to this team and without the many years and countless hours they put in as players and leaders, Reaper wouldn't be what it is today and what it will become in the future without the selfless contributions of these great guys. Reaper nation continues to grow and I wish Alex, Steve, and Josh the best of luck at Regionals 2014 and more importantly in life.
~James
Please consider taking a minute and writing any memories/experiences with any of these guys in the comments section and wish them luck at Regionals!
No comments:
Post a Comment