Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ohh Ahh

Hey Reaper,

I wanted to brush the dust off the blog and get a post up before summer is over. I really hope someone takes over the blog and updates it with new info/tournament recaps/funny banter etc. Being that I am now officially an alum I know I will be itching to hear about how Reaper is doing on and off the field.

This post is aimed at the team next year. A lot of great players are now gone and Reaper will need to figure out an identity for this upcoming season. You guys still have a ton of talent and potential, expectations should be high. Recruiting is going to be HUGE boys. Tim and HR did a fantastic job last year, but realize that I won't be there to put up flyers, Tim isn't going to be around campus chasing people down and telling them to come to practice. If you are a returner you need to do your part to help get word out about the team and recruit! Having 40-50 guys at the first couple practices last year was amazing.

Don't hesitate to try new things next year. Build an identity, I can't stress this enough. Think about what worked last year and what didn't. Build around what we have. Understand the fall is focused on rookies and making them better. The winter is about getting in shape and building off what we did in the fall, the spring is about the series and achieving whatever goals the team is aiming for.

The team can't depend entirely on just the captains to run practice and recruit. Returners who want to step into larger roles this year need to step up come pantherpalooza and practice. Zach, Josh, HR, Alex, Kyle, Brian and OC just to name a few... you guys are going to be key to getting the team started, to helping at practice, to stepping up if we are going to be a great team next year. I don't know what mike plans to do captain-wise but that's for you guys to figure out as a team when you get back. Other guys like Joe, Brock, Hinze and Chris etc.. who had a lot of work schedule conflicts last year I know have the potential to take on larger roles with the team if they can find the time.

The core of the team /// the returners that want it... set the tone for next year early! Come to practice on time, work hard, help the captains, help not only get the new guys there but take initiative in helping them grasp the game. Think about what helped you get better when you were first starting out and apply that.

I helped coach at a summer camp for ultimate this summer and it was really rewarding seeing younger High School players learn the game and improve so much over a short 2 week span. The first few weeks of practice are going to be huge in setting the tone for the year and for teaching the fundamentals to new guys.

We are a competitive team but never forget why we play this game... to have fun! Winning is a bonus of working hard at practice and striving to get better. Looking back at college and the amount of time and effort I put into the team I have no regrets, I only wish I could have done more. I look at the friends I made, the people I met, the hours of practice and drilling, the weekend tournaments, and the potential of this team and I couldn't be more proud to have been a part of this team.



Oh and everyone heckle HR to put up some more sweet HL videos.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment